What do you think is a listening ?
Listening is an everyday affair. Most listeners see listening as a challenging task, so much so that the greatest challenge that the speaker faces is to make his/her speech making worth to. In other words, when a speaker envisages his/her speech making endeavor, he/she grows increasingly obsessed with the idea of making his/her speech interesting. This is simply because if he/she does not make his/her speech engrossing enough, he/she will not be listened to. To keep the listeners attentive to their speech, most speakers use a variety of tactics. Listening may be defined as the process of hearing, understanding and interpreting the spoken words. Listening means trying to view the issue the way the speaker views it. It means empathy. Listening requires more intelligence than speaking.
Effective listening is one of the keys to success in life and business. Listening is a vital component of the communication process. The effectiveness of communication depends upon the extent to which listening and communication take place in the course of an interaction. How effective listening can be benefited :
- Better work environment: Proactive listening leads to understanding the real meaning of whatever is said. The listener understands the speaker’s beliefs, values, expectations and goals. When people listen with empathy, they better understand each other. Relations between them improve leading to a happy work environment.
- Effective problem solving: Effective listening enables members of an organization collaborate in understanding problems and finding solutions to them. Decision making becomes effective.
- Time saving: Good listening helps to avoid, wastage of time caused by needless clarification and queries.
- Reduction in Hostilities: Active listening reduces tensions and conflicts. Healthy exchange of views and opinions removes misunderstandings and disputes. Team work is enhanced.
- Industrial Harmony: When managers listen with empathy, employees have faith and trust in management. If grievances and suggestions of employees are expressed freely there is improvement in employer-employee relations.
- Higher earnings: Increase in the commitment and satisfaction o employees ultimately result in greater sales and profits. Customer satisfaction : To satisfy the customer needs listening is an important factor. Customer needs reassurance that he is being heard. When he expresses the complaint and being heard it gives him a lot of satisfaction.
- Employee Training: In the knowledge economy, employees have to constantly upgrade their knowledge and skills. Good listening is important tool learning from others.
- Public Relations: Every business firm communicates with its stakeholders. Active listening helps the firm to improve its relations with stakeholders and thereby, boosts its public image.
This motivates the person who is being listened by the other person and got attention from. You can be an effective listener by using these tips :
- Positive Attitude: The speaker must develop a positive attitude towards the speaker. Acceptance of the speaker creates a proactive interest in listening. Then the listener can understand the words as well as the feelings of the speaker.
- Concentration: Full concentration on what is being said is the key to good listening. The listener can focus his attention by trying to anticipate the speaker’s utterances. No part of the speech has to be missed out. Listen patiently and with full attention.
- Interaction: Question answer technique facilitates interactions between the speaker and the listener. Participation of the listener makes listening effective. Avoid direct questions and arguments about facts.
- Right body language: An active listening must have an attentive face, direct eye-contact, a closed mouth, smile, a comfortable sitting position and occasional handshake. All distracting body gestures like tapping of feet, drumming of fingers and talking to other listeners should be avoided.
- Prevent Noise: All environmental distractions must be prevented to ensure proper listening.
- Listen between the lines: The changing tone and volume of voice, facial expressions, gestures and body movements of the speaker all have some meaning. Listening can be made effective by the conscious effort oh speaker, the listener and others concerned with the process of communication
This is not a tough job to be an effective listener. Try this once and you’ll notice itself the difference between the thing now and before. Also it will help increasing your communication skills and also will help others.
“Listening is often the only thing needed to help someone.”
#THINK POSITIVE, STAY MOTIVATED !!